mercredi 1 décembre 2010

Peter Hofmann

Concertonet's Zurich Correspondant and long-time friend John Rhodes emailed me this morning on the passing of German tenor Peter Hofmann.

I heard him first in Paris in 1981 a concert performance of the act 3 of Parsifal with the Berlin Philharmonic and Karajan, then as Lohengrin, then the following year in Paris in Lohengrin under Dohnanyi. But it was in Bayreuth that I heard him in many roles: Parsifal in 83, Tristan in 87 and a final Siegmund in 89.

What was unique in his performances was the sheer physicality of his performances best captured in the DVD of the Boulez-Chéreau Ring:


In the Götz Friedrich's production of Parsifal, he really caught the spear. No wires, no funny games, ..., this was thrilling.

1 commentaire:

  1. I saw the Friedrich Parsifal in Bayreuth in its first year (1982) and while I was sure at the time I saw Hofmann really catch the spear over the years I've come to doubt my own memory! But now I'm really pleased to have my recollection confirmed!! I saw him as Lohengrin the same year and also as Lohengrin with The Royal Opera - but on tour in Manchester - I don't think he ever sang it in London...

    JMcM

    RépondreSupprimer